Not time or budget to decorate? Here are ten easy ways to make a difference in your decor with little or no effort. Pick just three and you’ll brighten your space instantly:
- Freshen up pots. It’s early, but hardy pansies, daffodils and tulips are ready to go in the ground or pots.
- Change your flag. Splurge on a new decorative flag for the lawn.
- Add door decor. A banner, wreath, or huge paper butterfly can have impact from the street. No butterlies in residence? You can make your own from bright wrapping paper.
- Switch out wreaths. Indoor wreaths get dusty and fade. If yours has been up more than three years, time for a new one.
- Lighten window treatments. Remove heavy curtains or pull them back from the window frames for the time being to allow more light and give you a chance to highlight furnishings.
- Buy new throw pillows. A $10 bejewelled throw pillow can always brighten my mood.
- Put clutter in baskets. If you are tired of piles, assign them a home, and assign the baskets a shelf or nook. You’ll feel instantly more organized.
- Clear kitchen counters. Declare a no-drop zone, and decorate it with pretty pottery you already have on hand to discourage clutter.
- Change rugs. Shake and wash smaller rugs. Replace worn rugs with high-impact colors and patterns in a new throw rung. Small commitment but big impact.
- Table it. Create a tablescape from items you already have. For instance, place a small bowl of lemons or oranges on a footed cake plate ringed with polkadot or yellow ribbon. Makes you smile just thinking about it.